Friday, January 6, 2012

chip and yay!

my title make no sense? good. let me explain.

wednesday evening, i'm waiting for MrL to come home, i feel peckish, only thing in the kitchen in the bread bin was a left-over last bit of walnut bread. so i take it and put some butter on and eat it. next thing i know, i hear (and feel) a crunch, for a mili second i think that "that's not right?" but my mouth continues to chew and i hear another crunch and before i know it i'm digesting my food. i take my tongue and swirl it around my teeth, they feel fine. oh no, wait, what's this? it feels so rough and rugged. on the side of my tooth. damn it - a bit of my tooth is missing. YES. i chipped my tooth with some bread. now, it made me think that my whole tooth might just drop out! my teeth are in very bad condition (i partially blame it on my genes but also on my lack of oral hygiene when i was younger - yuck! oh and plus the fact that i ate soooo much chocolate over xmas.. oops!) i dramatised a bit and was a bit freaked out. luckily MrL came home soon after and got the whole crying thing going on because, let's face it, i don't have the money to even go to a dentist. my love, being the love that he is, transferred a wad of money onto my account and told me to "splash out" on a new filling! woopie. so, next day i get calling to all the two dentists around. one does not accept new patients - thanks. the other? next free appointment is friday morning. i took it, but seriously? two days to wait to have a hole in my tooth filled in?? i was quite upset - i couldn't eat any chocolate till then for goodness sake! this was going to be hard work.

well, friday finally came and i graced my wonderful self over to the dentist (who is a 3-minute walk away from my house) and registered. he took me into his office. and he started talking. talking so fast my ears had to adjust. i had to concentrate so hard i had to sit down. in all seriousness though, he was such a nice guy. who would have thought - a male dentist so nice. he patched up my...oh no, that's going to sound so bad. let me rephrase - the hole in my tooth was no more. in fact, he told me more. he said to come again! even more, he said my THREE wisdom teeth need to come out. this was no news to me, my 'dentist' in london told me the same thing (and so did two other dentists in poland..) but what used to discourage me is the method and the price. i got quoted a couple of hundred pounds PER TOOTH in london. i don't have that kind of money. i sure didn't when i was a student and i sure don't now being unemployed. i told the dentist this. he said "no no no no no, you don't understand. i can refer you to a clinic and it will be for free.." WHAT?! free?! seriously??? i had no idea. this is news to me - and what fabulous news. i told him i want to do it. get it done and finally have my teeth sorted. so i've booked and appointment and xray for tuesday, he'll be able to tell me about the difficulty of the procedure of extracting my teeth etc. exciting!!

i was totally over the moon when i came back from the dentists'. after ranting about the lack of available appointments for such critical patients like me. but after that visit i was so happy and had completely forgotten about the holey tooth thing.

i was just watching some "new girl" online (quite a funny show with zooey deschanel-something-or-other) when i got a phone call from a strange number. unwillingly, i picked it up and lo and behold it was a receptionist from a school that i had had an interview for back in october. boy was i surprised to hear from them. i was amused. i let her speak. she informed me that they were calling about a position that they have for a month's supply work in year 1... REALLY?! i was beyond myself. a month, for me, in year 1 - i'm utterly happy, of course i said YES. so here is my "yay" - i have work for a month! to some of you this may sound incredibly poor, that i'm thrilled to get work for a month (doing what i absolutely love - teaching) but when you've been sat at home for over 6 months doing NOTHING you learn to appreciate all the little things in life. especially real work, even if it is just for a month. i'm thrilled to bits. starting on the 16th i'll be working at last. i know i'm going to love it. i know the school likes me, i like the school, this will be fun. i can't wait. what a great start to the new year.

i hope you start to the new year has been equally rewarding and exciting!!

M
x

No comments: